Need an easy and tasty dinner option? Look no further! This recipe was the result (like most of my recipes) of trying to utilize what was in the kitchen without going to the grocery store, and luckily it was absolutely delicious.
Notes about the pasta: This pasta is made from peas, lentils, chickpeas and borlotti bean which make it both gluten free and full of plant protein. You can use any gluten free pasta you like just make sure to check for unhealthy fillers such as sugar.
Why Greek yogurt? I love using Greek yogurt as a substitute for heavier cream options for a few reason. Greek yogurt gives more protein to the meal, which helps to keep you full and satisfied and it has fewer calories but a similar taste as the heavier options.
(1 ) Cup plain Greek yogurt
(1 ) Lemon (both zest and juice)
(1 ) Package of San Remo Pulse Pasta Spaghetti (250g)
(1) Carton of cherry tomatoes OR 1 can of rinsed chopped tomatoes
(3) medium zucchini sliced
(¼) cup of parmesan cheese
(1) tbsp olive oil
(½) tsp salt
(½) tsp pepper
(1) handful of fresh basil
- Cook pasta as directed on package
- Pro Tip: This pasta tends to stick together. Once cooked as directed on the package, strain and run cold water over the noodles to break them up.
- Slice zucchini into ½ inch thick slices.
- Heat one tbsp of olive oil on medium heat in a pan.
- Saute zucchini for 3-4 minutes to allow some of the water to cook out.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the following: plain Greek yogurt, lemon juice and zest, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and basil.
- After you have sauteed the zucchini, add the yogurt based cream sauce, rinsed pasta and tomatoes to the pan.
- Let the mixture simmer together stirring occasionally to prevent sticking for 5-10 minutes
- Plate with additional basil on top and enjoy!