I have totally fallen in love with this simple but beautiful recipe. This has become my go to veggie recipe to make when I have friends come over for dinner or when I want to spice up a week night meal. Not to mention creating the raviolis feels like such a culinary win.
(2) Medium sized zucchini
(1 ) 200g carton of ricotta cheese
(1 ) 325g jar of pasta sauce ( my favorite is Delmaine Fresh Pasta Sauce
roasted tomato and garlic)
(125g) Carton of button mushrooms sliced (½ carton)
(½) Cup aged cheddar cheese
(½ ) tbsp olive oil
(¼) Cup fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C ( 400 degrees F)
- Use ½ tbsp olive oil to coat the bottom of a casserole dish to prevent the raviolis from sticking.
- Use a hand held vegetable peeler to thinly slice the zucchini into paper thin 5.5 inch/ 14cm long strips. (see photo below)
- Note: it helps to do this over a large cutting board.
- Once you have peeled all of your zucchini strips, set them aside on your work space.
- To create the “raviolis” take 2 zucchini strips and place them in a cross shape. 1 vertical and 1 horizontal overlapping in the middle.
- Then place 2 tsp of ricotta cheese in the center.
- Start folding the Zucchini ends over the top of the cheese moving clockwise around the center.
- Then flip the ravioli over so that the folds are facing down and place in the casserole dish.
- Bake the raviolis without sauce for 5-10 minutes to let some of the water bake out.
- Remove from the oven and add the pasta sauce, sliced mushrooms, and the cheese on top of the raviolis.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and add fresh basil.
- Bake for 2 additional minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for five minutes.